Minister's name: Anne Telford, DM; Mary Ann Pastuk, DM
Contact phone no.: 780-467-7377
History: Sherwood Park United Church was established in 1957 when 21 people came together to discuss the possibility of establishing a church in their community of Campbelltown. Services were held in people’s homes until the Anglican Parish Hall was rented for this purpose. In 1959, worship services were moved to the Campbelltown School auditorium. In the same year the “United We Build for the Future Campaign” was undertaken for the construction of Stage 1 of a three-stage plan. A hall with seating for 270 people (now Memorial Hall), with a basement , was completed in 1960. Student and lay ministers led the services during this formative time, and both the Senior Choir and CGIT were established. Later, the Men’s Group, a Youth Coffee House, Junior Choir, Couples’ Club, Hi-C and U.C.W. were initiated. The Sunday School attendance was so high that half of the group were moved to the new wing of Campbelltown School. Rev. Jim Elliott became the first ordained minister to serve the congregation in 1963. In the same year, the Wye congregation voted to join Sherwood Park United Church.
The 1970’s was a time of great activity in the church, including the formation of choirs for all ages. Stage 2 (Activity Hall) was completed providing a home for Sunday school classes. By 1977 church numbers had grown to 484 families.
Our current fish logo was designed in 1980 following a logo contest. The completion and dedication of the new sanctuary (Stage 3 of the building project) took place in conjunction with the celebration of the 25th anniversary of Sherwood Park United Church on April 17, 1983. 1986 saw the development of the Care Network and the formation of the handbell choir as well as the installation of stained glass windows below the cross at the front of the church.
In the 1990’s, healing and youth services became part of congregational life . Two successful fund-raisers, the stadium football concession booth and the annual Cookie Walk were initiated and continue to the present time. In 1996, a new hymn book, ‘Voices United’ was made available to the congregation. For a number of years Family Camp was held at Pigeon Lake.
Over the years Sherwood Park United has sponsored 3 families, one from Vietnam, one from Kosovo, and one from Cambodia; and more recently, Abdul, an African child and his community. They have supported the Mission & Service fund and many outreach projects including Bissell Centre, No Room in the Inn & Habitat for Humanity.
Sherwood Park United Church continues to look beyond the walls of the sanctuary to carry out God’s love to those in the community and around the world. Its members and adherents endeavor to take God’s caring and compassion from this congregation into the many and varied places where they live out their faith. The congregation continues to evolve as it strives to adapt to the challenges and spiritual needs of both its members and our rapidly growing community in the 21st century.